Film Review: “Hunger Games – The Mockingjay Part 2”

MV5BNjQzNDI2NTU1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTAyMDQ5NjE@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

Reviewing for Kas 1 (Philippine history) over a cup of good coffee just a few hours before watching ‪#‎MockingjayPart2‬ really does a lot to your brain. Add in the fact that you’ve been keeping a close eye on recent social issues, and there you go – the end result will be a perfect blend of over analysis and mind-blowing revelations.

Here’s a semi-review, leaning more on comparisons and implications and less on the film itself.

Continue reading “Film Review: “Hunger Games – The Mockingjay Part 2””

Film Review: “Hunger Games – The Mockingjay Part 2”

Our Society… and Game of Thrones

You know, with everything that’s been happening recently, I can’t help but wonder about what’s happening up there at the top of the economic chain with the political leaders. It’s like some Game of Thrones shit.

I mean we know only 10% of what’s really going on. That’s all the media shows – just a mere 10%. Think of all the rest of the 90% – all the things those presidents and prime ministers have been talking about for the past 6 days of APEC. The conversations behind closed doors, the plans they’re proposing, the secrets they are hiding. Their motives, their goals. The mere 10% consists of the commercials and tarpaulins saying “We are for the people yadda yadda” but that’s it.

GoT (or Game of Thrones) is a fictional series that shows us how politics works IN REAL LIFE. The people up there are just on each others’ sides so they can fulfill their selfish wants – more land, more money, more buildings. Was there ANYONE at the top of the food chain in GoT who was truly concerned about the masses? Can you think of ONE character whose pure motive was to serve the people?

And the thing is, from the very beginning, we know that there is a problem in our political system. But like in GoT, it’s HARD, so freaking hard to change it. But maybe we as a whole are not ready for that change. I mean look at how afraid we are of change, that when the stars on Twitter simply transitioned into hearts, the whole world went batshit crazy, that when people started filtering their profile pictures on Facebook, the whole world was divided into being “For it” or “Against it”.

Human beings are just SO. DIVERSE. With all our different opinions and advocacy on so many things, fueled by our differences in upbringing, education, religion and nationality. This is what makes us different from other animals. This makes us so unique – as individuals, and as species.

But the one thing that makes us unique is also the very thing destroying us. How are we supposed to fix ourselves as species when nO ADULT IN THE WORLD actually has their lives fixed in even as individuals? When no one is actually sure of what they’re doing? When even our perspectives of right and wrong VARIES PER PERSON? How are we supposed to progress with that?

Or maybe we’re not supposed to. If we aren’t ready to break that wall between the life we’re living today, and the life we’ve always dreamed of that has only ever been portrayed in sci fi movies, then maybe we were meant to live and die like this, continually existing in such a primal state, always suffering, never moving beyond corruption, like a dog chasing its tail endlessly.

Are we destined to constantly be on self-destruct? Is there a way out?

Our Society… and Game of Thrones

“You win or You die”

Jon Arryn was poisoned
Ned was beheaded
Oberyn’s head exploded
The Hound was left untended

Little girls are no exception
Myrcella unknowingly kissed a deadly potion
Shireen was burnt alive for a witch’s curse
But remember when Arya and Sansa’s innocence had died first

Renly was killed by his own brother
Robb was stabbed, witnessed by his own mother
Tyrion killed his own father
And Selyse, out of guilt, killed her.

Looking back to the oldest book, the Bible,
Written in the oldest chapter, Genesis
Out of envy, Cain has slain Abel
The righteous has lost once again – the victor? Their nemesis.

All my childhood, I was promised a prince charming and a happily ever after.
But Game of Thrones taught me the cruelest law of all, oh look what I’ve become
They raised us all these years to be children of summer,
when they should have been preparing us for the long winters to come

Winter is coming, and child, learn what battles you must fight
There are always two kinds of people: Those who fight to survive,
and those who fight for what’s right.
Truly, in life, do you do what you must to be just,
or must you bleed others dry to be alive?

© Anilyn Nikoleta

“You win or You die”