My Typhoon Week

Typhoon Glenda (Rammasun) just crashed into our house, and we lost electricity and water for SIX. DAYS. So here’s a detailed story of what happened.

Day 1 – Tuesday, June 15 2014

At around 5am, I was awaken by the number of texts I received from different people all at once.They were all saying things like, “Take care!!” “Stay safe!!” Meanwhile, it was absolutely pitch black outside.


The wind was howling, trees were swatting the roof and you can hear metal bending outside. I’ve never felt so scared in my life – not for my life, but for the lives of the people around me. The people who lived near oceans of water, the people who did not have a stable house. For once, I prayed for them, all of them.

The electricity was gone by the time I went down. Our trellis roof had crashed and broken into pieces.


I did my necessary chores and went back up. I watched an anime until lunch time. When we finished lunch, we had to tolerate with washing the dishes using a bucket of water, as we did not have running water anymore.

I assessed the damage in our home.

IMG_5704 IMG_5705 IMG_5708 IMG_5709 IMG_5710 IMG_5711 IMG_5712 IMG_5713

After lunch, I watched Doctor Who with my mother and brother. We spent the whole afternoon wasting my laptop battery.

We didn’t have food, or clean water, so we decided to go downstairs and eat in a mall. But we faced a problem – we had little to no gasoline in our car, and none of the shops accepted a credit card. We were absolute beggars that night. We had to buy 10 liters of distilled water just to clean stuff. Then we got hotdogs and instant noodles from 7-11 and went home.

We ate with like, 4 candles in the middle of the table.


I had fun eating with my family. It was the first time in what seemed like ages that we were able to actually talk to each other and joke around. Then we went up to our own rooms, carrying our own little candles, and tried to go to sleep, despite the warm, still air around us.

Day 2

Around 7am, I woke up and saw the sun.


I lazed around my bed for a while, not ready to face another day in a world of no running water again. Eventually, my dad called and asked my sister and I to go to the village swimming pool. When we got there, we saw a handful of people carrying buckets of water to and fro.


We went back home with one huge drum and 3 buckets full of water. We got ready to take our baths. My parents devised a system wherein we will reuse the water from bathing to clean the cages of our dogs. It was pretty clever. Then, we ate banana and bread for breakfast.

When all the cleaning was done, we were exhausted from the amount of work we have done, and slept until it was lunch time. After lunch, my family went out to buy more necessary supplies. Meanwhile, I read a book and slept a little bit more.

If there’s one thing I’m thankful of, other than safety, it’s the fact that I was able to catch up on my days of sleeping late. I was able to sleep for more than I thought I was capable of in a day.

By the time the sun had set, my dad had a plan wherein he would set up the car battery to light up 2 bulbs and one electric fan. We ate with, thankfully, a little bit of decent lighting. The absence of a TV droning on in the background was deafening, and we tried to fill the walls with as much noise as possible. That resulted to my family and I talking again. Then, after an uneventful day, we called it a night and went to sleep again. The wind was gone, and we closed our eyes hoping that this will be the last time we’ll experience this again.

Day 2

We woke up early, to the sound of my mother shouting, “There’s running water!”

There was fog everywhere.

IMG_5726 IMG_5727 IMG_5728

We cleaned the dogs’ cages as fast as we can, because we knew running water won’t last long without electricity. We even bathed our 3 Shih Tzu puppies, although it was hard to dry them up without a blow dryer.

Feeling exhausted again, we took a rest.

After lunch, we rode to the airport to pick up my aunt. We were excited, because it was about time we left the house, and we were able to see the destruction the typhoon had caused outside our little village.

The fence of this public school collapsed because the weight of the fallen trees
The fence of this public school collapsed because the weight of the fallen trees
Trees everywhere
Trees everywhere
The mini guard house in our village was toppled over
The mini guard house in our village was toppled over


The sign of the fast food resto fell
The sign of the fast food resto fell
The sign of a fast food resto fell down
The sign of a fast food resto fell down
The roof of the marketplace we used to go to crashed down.
The roof of the marketplace we used to go to crashed down.

IMG_5733 IMG_5732 IMG_5729

After we picked my aunt up, we went to a funeral – a relative from my father’s side had died. He was exactly my age. We went home around 11pm. Tired, and still hopeful, we slept with the same prayer in our hearts.

Day 3

It was raining. My parents took this opportunity to wash the fridge, the dogs, the house, etc. as we collected rainwater into our empty buckets. We worked together to empty the frozen goods that have melted, to throw the long-forgotten meals stuck in the very corners of our fridge and to clean each sticky container.

After lunch, we went to the market to pay some bills and buy more food and water. We went along with our cousins, who lived near us. Then, we spent the rest of the day in their house – just chatting with my aunt, playing with my baby cousin, eat some snacks.Then, when the sun had set, we left the place and went to a restaurant to eat.

One of the roofs had crashed in the place across the restaurant.

Then we went home, and we tried not to hope again.

The next few days were uneventful. Fortunately, the electricity and running water came back on Monday, June 21 2014.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s